Listed below are examples of problems owners might experience joining your private league and how you can go about fixing them. If one of the examples does not help rectify your problem, please contact Customer Care at 1-888-549-ESPN between 8am and 1am EST any day of the season.
- NO INVITATION RECEIVED
If the League Manager says they sent you an invitation but you do not see it in your email's inbox it could be due to a couple of reasons.
- Your email address entered by the League Manager is simply incorrect. In this case we ask you to communicate with the League Manager to ensure they are entering your correct email address.
- Your corporate (or ISP's) firewall blocks email from our ESPN servers. In this case we recommend the League Manager using the "Send me a copy of each invite" option. Once he/she receives the "cc'ed" email (which contains your team's unique join URL) he/she can then forward that email to you via their own email service (thus bypassing any firewall).
- INVITATION RECEIVED; UNABLE TO JOIN LEAGUE
The League Manager invites you to play, and you receive the invite, but upon clicking the unique URL, the page returns saying you cannot join the league. This will happen for one of two reasons:
- The League Manager invited another owner to join the team after he/she invited you. Once a different email address is entered and submitted the system will null and void the unique URL on the previous email.
- The League Manager changed your email address. Likewise in the previous example, once a different email address is entered and submitted, the system will void the unique URL on the previous email. In both cases, we recommend that you contact the League Manager to work out the details.
- NEED TO CHANGE DRAFT FROM ONE TYPE TO ANOTHER
The League Manager can change the draft type of an LM league right up until it starts. And, if it does start the LM can simply reset it and change it then. The LM would go to LM Tools, Edit Draft Settings (under the Draft Tools setting), and then select from the list of draft type options available.
SENDING INVITATIONS TO JOIN YOUR LEAGUE (LM Leagues only)
League Managers can access the "Owner Info and Send Invites" page by clicking on the Members link from the League Office. Enter the email address of each person you want to join your league (as seen in the screenshot below):
EDITING/ADDING/DELETING TEAM OWNERS
League Managers can also access the "LM Tools" tab and then click the "Members" link to make any changes to team owners. This includes deleting and adding second owners and sending emails to individual or multiple team owners.
INVITE OPTIONS TO JOIN A PRIVATE LEAGUE
League creators can access the invite page by clicking on the "Members" link from the League Office. One this page you have two (2) options to send invitations to others to join your league.
- League Password - You can copy and paste the league info (LeagueID and password) and post it on a message board, blog, chat or send via your own email software. People who view this can join your league on a first-come, first-served basis until the league is full.
- Email Invite - By sending an email invite you are sending a unique link to each individual email address. The only way for the recipient to join the league is via this unique link. Note they will not be required to enter the password and when the league is join the link expires. Email invites can be sent out by manually entering an email address into the "New Invitations" textbox.
MAKE YOUR LEAGUE PUBLIC
If you can not fill your standard private league you have the option to set the league as public. Doing this will change access to it from private to public and can be joined via the League Directory.
EMAIL INVITE TROUBLESHOOTING
Below are examples of problems you might have in joining your private league and how you can go about fixing them. If one of the examples does not help rectify your problem, please contact Customer Care at 1-888-549-ESPN.
- NO INVITATION RECEIVED
If the league creator says they sent you an invitation but you do not see it in your email's inbox it could be due to a couple of reasons:
- Your email address entered by the league creator is simply incorrect. In this case we ask you to communicate with them to ensure they are entering your correct email address.
- INVITING FRIENDS TO YOUR LEAGUE
To invite a player to your league, the LM must click on members from the league home page and assign a team by inputting the name and e-mail address in the appropriate slots. The invite will go out when you hit the submit button.
League managers can access the Invite Members page by clicking on the Members link from the League Office. Enter the e-mail address of each person you want to join your league in the "send invitations" text box and click the "send invites" submit button.
ACCEPTING AN INVITATION TO A CUSTOM LEAGUE
There are two types of "custom" league types within Fantasy Football: "League Manager" and "ESPN Custom".
"League Manager" leagues are private and can only be joined if invited to play. All invitations are sent in the form of an email which contains a unique URL. This URL is the ticket to play in the league. Invites can be sent by the LM to each team and once joined each team has the option to invite a 2nd owner to co-manage the team. To accept an invitation, click the URL or copy and past it into your browser's 'Address' field. You will need an ESPN.com Member Name and Password to play. Upon a successful join, your Member ID will be associated with a team ID and you will become that team's owner.
"ESPN Custom" leagues use custom options set by the league creator which are locked upon creation. These league automatically appear in the public League Directory and can be joined by anyone.
ACCEPTING AN INVITATION TO A PRIVATE LEAGUE
Some leagues are private and can only be joined if invited to play by the league's creator. All invitations are sent in the form of an email which contains a unique URL. This unique URL is the ticket to play in the league. To accept the invitation, the URL must be clicked on or it can be copied and pasted into your browser's 'Address' field. Upon a successful join, your ESPN.com Member ID will be associated with a Team ID and you will become that team's owner.
NOTE: Only league creators can invite people to play in their private league.
Alternatively, if you know the League name and password, you can join a Private league via the League Directory page (Click on "Join League").
Click the filters for League Type (Prize-Eligible) and Access (Private), type in the name of the League in the Search box then click on the "Search" button.
A list of leagues matching the search criteria will be listed below.
Click on the League Name link you wish to join. You will be brought to a summary page that lists all of the particulars for that league, including scoring settings.
Type in the password (case sensitive) and click on the "Join League" button.
JOINING A STANDARD LEAGUE
To join a Standard league, go to the League Directory or Live Draft Lobby, where you can join the right league for you. You can select between Free and Prize-Eligible and Autopick Draft or Live Online draft. Once you have found the league you want to join, click on the league name and click the Join This League button.
Standard ESPN.com Fantasy Football leagues are ten-team, standard scoring leagues which use fixed rule settings and are managed by ESPN. Leagues play with a Head-to-Head scoring format which use a 13-week regular season and 4-week playoff bracket system. Additionally, Prize-Eligible leagues can be created by a player, known as the league creator, or created by ESPN and posted in our Prize-Eligible League Lobby. Whether created by ESPN or a player, all Prize-Eligible league are managed by ESPN and use the same unalterable set of rules and settings. You may create or join up to a total (combined) of 10 public standard leagues.